Monday 4 March 2013

Black and white effect


 We decided that we would make our thriller opening black and white, to fit in with our chosen sub genre; Film Noir. Additionally, we put a lot of thought into our colours and what they stood for, and then we played on this and changed conventions. Thus, we thought it would look effective if we made these colours stand out against the rest o the footage which would be black and white.

As I am doing a lot of my editing out of lesson time, I found myself with no teacher in the room when I wanted to start planning around with effects, so I decided to teach myself! After having a play around with the effect and seeing what they do, I resorted my footage back to it's default settings and then started looking into tutorials of Final Cut on the web, to see if I could figure out how to alter the colour myself...and I did!


This screen grab shows me going onto effects and then onto image control. I then scrolled down to 'desaturate' and had to drag and drop this effect onto each of the shots that I wanted to turn black and white, which in this case, was every shot other then the titles. On the timeline the shots still appear in colour, but as you can see, when you play it, they appear in black and white. I am happy that I discovered how to do this, as it opened up new doors and I got to see some of the many effects that Final Cut is capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment